"I understand why believers want to listen to music with great lyrics; the songs stick in your head and they remind you of the great truths of our great God. But the thing is, I love jazz. And things related to jazz, like funk, groove, gospel, blues, latin, and… well, you get the picture. But there isn’t a whole lot of that sort of music out there with great lyrics about our great God. So I have to admit that part of the reason for making this album is to provide people like me something to listen to that we’d really enjoy musically, and have really good words ringing in our ears. Now that’s not too much to ask, is it?
I don’t think so. In fact, we’ve started a new recording label to do just that. It’s called Gospel Groove Music. We want to make albums that are not only groovy for listening (in terms of music and words), but also good for singing. Yes, singing. In church that is. Feel free to sing the songs in the shower, but we hope you’ll also sing some of them in your local church. You might not sing them the way we play them on the album, but that’s ok. We haven’t tried to give you a prescription: ‘Do it this way’; rather, we’re saying ‘Here’s this great song, and here’s one way we thought it might sound good. Why don’t you take it and do with it what sounds good to you?’
So, we’re aiming to give you songs that are good for your soul, and good for your church, performed in such a way that they’re good for me to listen to. Oh, and you too. Have we succeeded with this album? You be the judge. Suffice to say, I love listening to this album, so I think that’s a good start."
Gospel Groove Music Ltd is a not-for-profit organisation established to be an expression of Colossians 3:16 by seeking to inspire, motivate and enthuse Christians in Word and music, particularly:
- to produce and promote Bible-based and musically inspiring songs for Christians (both as individuals and in churches), particularly in the musical styles of jazz, gospel and groove;
- to develop, encourage, promote and financially support Christian song writers in the writing of Bible-based and musically inspiring songs;
- to develop, encourage, promote and financially support Christian music artists in the performance, recording and/or production of Bible-based and musically inspiring songs;
- to develop and encourage a sense of community and commitment among Christian music artists for the sake of promoting the Gospel of Jesus Christ; and
- to work in partnership with and contribute financially to other like-minded ministry organizations or groups whose beliefs are consistent with the Statement of Faith and whose activities support our Objects and/or promote the proclamation of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and/or the teaching of God's Word.